Thursday 16 October 2014

Stop saying BIM Model!

I had this pointed out to me by Carl Collins at Arup Associates and now I cannot unsee it. When we say "BIM", anyone with a clue is saying Building Information Modelling, or Building Information Model. Occassionally, and let us be clear, only to muddy the waters, people mean Building Information Management or Maintenance which is unhelpful at best. So when you are saying BIM Model, you are saying Building Information Model Model. It's a bit like saying PIN Number or the River Avon. I can forgive, if not forget, so long as you know that you're doing it.

It's a bit like the how many dimensions that exist. Physicists suspect more, but have only discovered four. We've left them in our wake with 11 dimensions. If as I suspect, these are not intended to be actual dimensions, then pray tell what is 1D and 2D BIM? ... Anyway...

2 comments:

  1. Modelling is a process, so BIM Model is perfectly valid.

    'PIN Code' solves the other problem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just being pedantic. You can definitely BIM model the verb. I totally agree. A BIM model however, the object. Let's face it, this is a second day issue. It was just annoying me so I had to say something.

    ReplyDelete